Monday, January 5, 2009

Write the vision down...

Vision is a powerful thing. It allows us to see ideas and dreams come to fruition and can establish legacies that impact future generations. In Habakkuk 2, God tells Habakkuk to “record the vision and inscribe it on tablets, that the one who reads it may run. For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it hastens toward the goal and it will not fail.”

In 2008, I began the practice of recording my project ideas in composition books. I maintain a separate book for each major project I’m working on. This has been very useful for me. I’m a multi-tasker who loves dreaming and jotting down notes on post-its, napkins, old envelopes and anything else that’s handy. I can also be an "oohhh, look at the pretty bird..." person as well. Left unchecked, my imagination would have me singing worship songs from the tops of mountains and dancing around like Julie Andrews in the "Sound of Music" (my favorite movie btw!). The composition books give me one place to cast vision, write it down and make it plain. It’s also a safe place to re-think, re-work, and re-envision the idea as it moves forward.

I’ve been blessed to see how the Lord has used this new discipline in my life during the past year. While I can occasionally over-think and over-complicate projects, I’ve seen major growth when it comes to moving from the conception of an idea to its completion.

The new year before us presents a great opportunity to “cast vision” for the next season of our lives. What dreams do you have? What idea or project of yours is waiting to be birthed? What passion has God placed in your heart that pleads for your attention? Have you written it down…have you made it plain? I love Dawson Trotman’s quote at the top of this web page: “Thoughts disentangle themselves as they pass through our fingers.” Take time this week to think about the dreams that lay dormant in your heart. Dare to dream them again, write them down, and entrust and commit them to the Lord’s care—you’ll be amazed at what awaits you. Blessings, Marvita



No comments:

Post a Comment